Eye-Opening Perspectives for Heroic Hearts

Eye-Opening Perspectives for Heroic Hearts

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ted Williams Homeless Golden Voice Thankful For Flag

by Winsip Custer CPW News Service

Ted Williams may have been homeless, but he wasn't flagless.  Thanks to the generosity of Mrs. Wilma Newhouse, who lived in the neighborhood where Ted weathered the cold and dampness of winter, he was not without the shelter of a fine synthetic nylon, red, white and blue flag that had flown on her front porch. "I saw him looking at the flag one morning and thought 'he can use it more than I can' and since we quit taking it down every evening after my husband died it was a no-brainer. I knew it could weather many cold evenings.  I replaced the flag every three or four years anyway, so it's tough as nails," said the retired Cleveland school teacher who said that she had to retire after they took prayer out of the opening ceremony at her elementary school.

Wilma, whose husband was a Baptist minster who became an Episcopal priest said "my husband and I were dedicated Christians who try to help people and while we did not fly the American flag in the church after we became Episcopalians....which was why we became Episcopalians...we have always flown it in our hearts.  If I had ever heard Mr. Williams speak I would have encouraged him to become a Baptist or Episcopalian minister because my husband always had this nasally, squeaky, high pitched voice that sounded like a garden rake dragged across a slate roof."

No comments:

Post a Comment