Eye-Opening Perspectives for Heroic Hearts

Eye-Opening Perspectives for Heroic Hearts

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Gerard Depardieu Apologizes To Juliette Binoche for Stefan Grisseman Blunder

Too Much Wine and No Roses
Juliette Binoche at the 2002 Cannes
Film Festival

by Winsip Custer, CPW News Service

     He was such a charmer in the movie Green Card which won him a Golden Globe and she was the magical Cinderella in the remake of Sabrina with Harrison Ford.  No one could understand the vitriol with which Gerard Depardieu discredited her to the French press, but he has made amends for his 2010 interview with Stefan Grisseman which was translanted in the Guardian:

Gerard Depardieu


     "I would really like to know why she has been so esteemed for so many years. She [Binoche] has nothing. Absolutely nothing! She is nothing, compared with her, Isabelle Adjani is great, even if she's totally nuts. Or Fanny Ardant – she is magnificent, extremely impressive. But Binoche? What has she ever had going for her?"
     "My life has not been easy," said Depardieu,  "and I had been drinking too much of my own wine.  I don't know what I was thinking back then, so full of myself and my ego so inflated that my head was about to pop.  As I have gotten older I have become less graceful.  It happens.  Next I'll have Alzheimer's and be drooling.  I looked in the mirror today and I realized I was becoming the angry looking guy that I was feeling that I was inside.  Life is too short and if we Frenchmen are going to live up to our world-wide image as Frenchmen I'd rather it be as lovers than executioners holding the guillotine's cord. I have this wonderfully bulbous nose that women used to love, but not for me to thumb it in the air at them.   Plus I looked into the mirror and said 'WHOA! What the hell happened?'  I had just been looking at a two month old grapefruit in the refrigerator that had become rather bumpy and dried out and I thought 'that looks like me.'  I took a black marker and put two eyes on it and put it in the kitchen window to remind me of what time does to us on the outside, but which it doesn't have to do to us on the inside,'" said Depardieu.  "Juliette please, please, please forgive me for my blunders," he said as he began singing in French, Thank Heaven For Little Girlsmade famous by Maurice Chevalier in the 1958 film Gigi.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment